This weeks Friday Focus looks at the 10 great ways to burn fat, from deadlifts to HIIT workouts.
1) Eat more protein – Eating increased levels of protein will raise your metabolism and help you burn more fat. In fact some studies suggest that you can actually build muscle mass using high-protein diet without stepping a foot in the gym! However for the best results high-protein diets should be coupled with HIIT workouts and weight lifting.
2) Eat smaller meals 5/6 times a day – Eating less meals a day means that your body will begin lowering your metabolic rate and burning fat in order to gain energy, whereas if you constantly keep your body topped up with the fuel it needs it will increase your metabolism and burn fat.
3) Stay hydrated – Drinking water has been shown to raise your metabolism by up to 50 calories per day. Apart from this water is extremely good for your health and can help with energy, brain function and sleep.
4) HIIT workouts – HIIT workouts raise your heartrate at a constant level for an extended period of time, allowing your body to burn more fat.
5) Lift weights – Weightlifting is an effective way to burn fat, without having to lose muscle in the process. Most people who use cardio to lose fat also lose muscle mass which they would otherwise be gaining on if they lifted weights. Added bonus: your body will also carry on burning fat after you finish your workout.
6) Switch up your workouts every 4-6 weeks – Every time you workout you are stressing your body, and every time you recover your body is getting better and better at dealing with that stress. That means that to keep on losing you need to keep your body guessing.
7) Do deadlifts – This exercise has long been the go to for people looking to lose weight and get in great shape. You will often hear personal trainers talking about the benefits of deadlifts as it is one of the only exercises which works both your lower and upper body simultaneously.
8) Learn to love burpees – Burpees are one of the only exercises which can work every muscle in your body at the same time. Just like the deadlift they are a compound movement.
9) Eat breakfast – Eating breakfast gives your body a boost of calorie burning energy and will help keep you fuelled throughout the day.