In this week’s FridayFocus we spoke to Anna McNuff, an avid traveller, adventurer and fitness lover!
1) Who are you, and where do you come from?
I’m Anna McNuff, born and raised in London. I am an adventurer, endurance athlete, author, speaker and self confessed mischief maker.
2) Who’s your fitness inspiration?
A lady called Rosie Swale-pope. In her late 50’s after losing he husband to cancer, she took off and ran 20,000 miles around the world. It took her five years and she overcame some unbelievable challenges – she set the bar on adventures and bravery for me.
3) What’s your favourite form of exercise?
Running! I absolutely love to run! If I can’t run I get really grouchy.
4) When you’re on adventures what do you eat?
Lots of bananas! I would eat bananas all day if I could. I also pack a lot of chocolate to relax and reward myself with at the end of the day. Other than that I get as many vegetables and as much protein (eggs / fish) in my belly as I can.
5) What was your experience in The Andes like?
Amazing! It was my first experience of being at altitude… and life at between 4,500 and 6,000 metres above sea level is tough- especially when you’re trying to ride a bike up there! I’d go back to the mountains there in a heartbeat, the ones in Bolivia especially.
6) Any fitness/life goals for 2017?
I’d like to see how far I could run a marathon. I’ve never done one on it’s own before, I’ve only ever done one at the end of an ironman or as part of an ultra marathon!
7) Best piece of fitness advice?
Just start! Whatever it is, whatever size the goal, just begin. And don’t worry about speed or times – find an activity you enjoy and keep doing that. And if you haven’t found that activity… keep trying new ones!
8) Favourite people to follow online?
9) What would you be doing if you weren’t an adventurer?
I’d be an astronaut or a trucker, or a princess. Or a truck driving princess who visits space from time to time.
10) Have you always been into your sport and fitness?
Yes! My parents are both olympians so I grew up in a very sporty family!